Antique Marble Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva Sculptures
Avalokitesvara – Bodhisattvas of Compassion. Historic pair of carved marble Korean sculptures dating back to late 1800’s to very early 1900’s. Historic significance to Philadelphia as sculptures were originally sourced from the John Wanamaker Department Store where Louis Graff, a local Philadelphia grain broker, and his wife, Nellie, purchased the pieces in 1904 from Mr. Wanamaker. The sculptures were installed at the Graff Estate in the Paoli area on Sugartown Road at the site of the property known as The Woods. It was not until the passing of daughter Catherine Ann Graff that the sculptures were passed on to her caregiver and then made their journey here to Garden Accents.